Race Report, Sunday – Sequim TdD #2

Posted: Category: Racing 6 Comments

Well, it took long enough but my first race of 2009 is officially done.  I was feeling pretty rotten Saturday and into Sunday morning.  I have a chest cold – mucusy thing going on that I can’t shake.  I honestly gave myself a chance of finishing 4 laps but I made it to the finish with gas to spare.  Heck, I wish they had kept it at 72 miles instead of the 60 we were dropped to.  I ended up feeling great.

Bike – BMC SL01  51/35 x 11/23 Easton EC90 wheels

Breakfast – Turkey sandwich, cottage cheese and a Malto/ Endurance drink mix

Ride food – two small bottles of HEED, one gu shot and 2 shot blocks

Average speed 24.3

Max speed 39.4

Max HR 187

Average HR 137

Weight 164

It was an early morning.  I was up at 5:30 to go pick up Tony and catch the 7:10 ferry.  The weather was perfect for me, no rain and a slight chill.  The wind hadn’t really starting blowing yet and would hold off until about our second lap.  My chest and legs felt seriously heavy for the first 24 miles.  I hung at the back while my teammates played at the front.  Brad and Alex were taking early jumps to see if anyone would bite.  I made my way up and actually tried a jump myself but was quickly reeled back in.  Aaron Shaw made a great move to bridge up to Matt Osetto and it seemed to stick.  I think the largest was 1:05 on the pack and I really thought they had a chance to pull it off.  Wines came to the front and their first couple of attempts to get organized and chase weren’t working but when they got into the groove and the pace picked up, Chauvin and I started to bring our teams up to spoil the chase.  Carter REALLY helped us police the front end but when Recycled came up to help the chase it was over.  Big props to the Recycled crew.  Those guys raced super well together and as I said over on Alex’s blog, if they hadn’t have come up it would have been Shaw and Osetto sprinting it out for 1st and 2nd.

In the heat of competition, words and emotions can get out of hand.  Remember the old saying “sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me?” well, disrupting a chase (which is perfectly fine by the way) by jumping into the paceline is not “blocking”. Sure, it pisses you off and it’s hard to get yourself reorganized.  Get angry, yell, scream call us bad names.  It’s ok!  It’s part of the race.  We all want to win.  But when the threats start to get physical and you start throwing elbows or try to manhandle your competitor off the road you have just turned into a d-bag.  Don’t do it.  If you want to go that direction join another sport.

Anyway the break got caught and Wines sprinted for a good win with Bicycle Center hitting second.

Darren jumped like mad and grabbed 4th only to be told he was DQ’d for centerline rules (damn you!)  Brad 6th,  Tony 9th, Aaron 12th myself 25th Alex 26th and Jake DNF’d with a mechanical (called 4 year old tires… c’mon man!)

I really had fun.  It was a good first race (sick or not) for the year.  Next will be Independence Valley this weekend.

Have a fantastic Monday and stay beautiful!

6 Responses to “Race Report, Sunday – Sequim TdD #2”

• I really enjoy your race recaps. You do a great job!

carrie — March 23, 2009 at 9:07 am
  • It seems you have trouble eating while on the bike (or BEFORE the bike or AFTER the bike). Have you tried Perpetuem? It’s made by Hammer and you can mix it up to whatever consistency you like. You can buy one of their silly little bottles or just designate one of your regular short bottles and keep it in a jersey pocket. For races 50 miles and up, Perpetuem is great!

Glad you had fun. :)

Rebecca — March 23, 2009 at 9:57 am
  • I’m a masochist on a diet :-)

No, really I don’t have a nutrition problem. It might look like I didn’t eat enough but really I totally had enough fuel before and during the race. Never once did I feel like I was out of sorts nutritionaly.

I have used Perpetuem and find that it’s a little heavy for short races or rides (anything under 80 miles) HEED with my own mixture of Powerbar Enduarnce mix and added Maltodextrin is perfect for me and is easily digestable. The gu shot and shot blocks I ate weren’t needed I just shoved them in my face out of habit. No need to eat a lunch in the middle of a 72 (or what turned out to be 60) mile race.

Now if weather conditions were different I would have had more water and electolyte replenishment. Cytomax or Nuun tablets.

Brian — March 23, 2009 at 10:20 am
  • Nice report and glad the team had a good showing. Glad you felt better than you thought so you can just get on with it now and throw down some whooparse. I’m cheaper than snot but would draw the line at 4yr old tyres…

ryan — March 23, 2009 at 11:01 am
  • Thanks for letting me use your rear wheel bro. Damn Zipps! Those Eastons are just as sweet a wheel. Felt like a champ up until mile 55. Mile 60-84 I suffered badly – bonked. Huge.

Dustin — March 23, 2009 at 2:27 pm
  • I wish I could find the article, but a few years back there was an article written on the “formal rules of the peloton” (or something like that). I want to say it was dailypeloton.com, but I can’t find it. It had a lot of the finer points of racing covered that seem to get lost in the lower ranks. Everybody seems to know about not chasing teammates, sitting on bridge efforts, and the basic of protecting a break, but that’s where it tends to go downhill.

Alex’s comments about acting as a gatekeeper really is the proper method of protecting the break. “Blocking” or intentionally messing up a chase really is a bush league move. Try something like that in the 1/2s and I bet before 2 rotations you’ll find yourself being forced off into the dirt (not a threat – I’ve just seen it happen). It’s common in the 1/2 races to have guys be granted access right to the front just by announcing that they are going to chase. If you have a guy in the move – you get to sit right behind the chase and enjoy it. Leave yourself an out to cover a bridge attempt if someone goes, but in general you let teams chase. You should expect the favor to be returned to you when it’s your turn to chase.

The other big thing that people tend to get too hung up on is that a chase is supposed to be frantic. You just get as many people to contribute as possible and ride a solid tempo. In some cases it makes sense to try and form a consortium of the teams that missed the move, but in general a dedicated team chase works best. Keeping the pace up is the key. Lots of less experienced guys will try and help chase, but will go way too hard before flaming out. It doesn’t help the chase and it just tires themselves out. It really helps to have more experienced guys on your team to help set some expectations with that. In the 1/2 chase – IJM had a guy with Zipps that was putting in super strong pulls and getting frustrated when he turned around to see gaps, so then started attacking to “keep the pace up” which really just ended up dragging the chase out longer as Lenovo and others just moved up to his wheel and sat on. This just resulted in a delay as we’d need to re-establish our rotations and get it going again. The IJM guy with the beard and Cervelo got it and contributed by rolling through with Wines, Garage, the one Valley guy, etc.

Ask your favorite former pro: Herriott/Richter/Russell. I think you’ll hear similar stuff. Teams that have guys who’ve been racing at the elite level really tend to operate by these “rules” as a whole.

Maybe we’re all saying the same things, but it’s not reading that way on the interwebs and the facebooks :)

andrew — March 23, 2009 at 11:44 pm